Thursday, June 16

What's poetry?


Studying for my American lit. and post-colonial lit. in English is sooooooo much easier and more relaxing than studying consonantism.

I like modern & modernist poetry much better than the old classics. I can't really say why, because I'm not a poetry person. The fact that I do like it is enough for me. :)


This is a selection of quotes about poetry I find interesting:
(from my notes)



"If it's a wild tune, it is a poem."

"[the poem] begins in delight and ends in wisdom."

"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader."

"Like a piece of ice on a hot stove the poem must ride on its own melting."
(Robert Frost)



"A poem is not the description of an experience, it is itself an experience."
(A. J. M. Smith)



"Poetry should resist the intelligence almost successfully."
(Wallace Stevens)


"A poem should not mean but BE."
(Archibald MacLeish)



"I speak here of poetry as the revelation or distillation of experience, not the sterile word play that, too often, the white fathers distorted the word poetry to mean - in order to cover their desperate wish for imagination without insight."
/.../
"For women, then, poetry is not a luxury. It is a vital necessity of our existence. /.../ Poetry is the way we help give name to the nameless so it can be thought. /.../ Poetry is not only dream or vision, it is the skeleton architecture of our lives."
(Audre Lorde)